The UCLP© is not a low fat diet. It means replacing saturated fats with heart healthy unsaturated fats.
Step 2: Building strong foundations
In step 1 of the UCLP© we asked you to consider your reasons for making dietary changes and to keep a diet diary to help you to reflect on your own diet.
The Eatwell Guide
The Eatwell Guide is a policy tool used to define government recommendations on eating healthily and achieving a balanced diet. For further information about The Eatwell Guide please visit the NHS Choices website.
Here are some helpful tips for reviewing your diet diary:
- Eating three meals a day and the occasional snack is a great way to ensure that you meet your nutritional needs everyday
- Most meals should include at least one portion of fruit or vegetables, a starchy food and a protein source
- Healthy snacks such as fresh or dried fruit, nuts and seeds can make a welcome contribution to cholesterol lowering. Find our healthy snack ideas by checking out our factsheet ‘Healthy snacks’
- Limit sugary drinks and keep alcohol within healthy limits.
- Your portion sizes – note the size of the segments in the healthy food plate – is this reflected on your plate and in your daily diet?
Once you have reflected on your own diet it’s time to move on to the key elements of the UCLP© Foundation diet
Have a good think about where you would like to start. Just make ONE change at a time and build up slowly. Set yourself simple weekly or monthly targets to help you establish your foundation diet.