Lines open Mon-Fri 10am-3pm
Punjabi, Urdu & Hindi spoken on Fri
Calls to our 0345 helpline costs no more than calls to geographic (01 and 02) numbers and must be included in inclusive minutes on mobile phones and discount schemes. Calls from landlines are typically charged between 2p and 10p per minute while calls from mobiles typically cost between 10p and 40p per minute. Calls from landlines and mobiles to 0345 numbers are included in free call packages.
High Cholesterol Levels & Health
How can cholesterol cause a heart attack?
- Excess blood cholesterol can become stuck in the linings of our arteries.
- Over time the artery narrows. This process is called atherosclerosis.
- Being a smoker or having high blood pressure can speed up the development of atherosclerosis.
- A heart attack happens when one of the three arteries, that feed the heart muscle, become completely blocked.
- If the blockage is not removed a part of the heart can die.
Help from HEART UK - the Cholesterol Charity
At HEART UK we're passionate about preventing premature deaths caused by high cholesterol. In this section of our website, you will find further information on:
- Cholesterol - The Silent Killer
- Inherited high cholesterol - Familial hypercholesterolaemia (FH)
- Cholesterol tests and understanding your cholesterol test results
- Low Cholesterol Diets
- Statins & Cholesterol Treatments and Statin Side Effects
- Plant Stanols & Sterols
We also provide a Cholesterol Helpline, where you can contact our specialist cardiac nurses and dieticians about any concerns regarding high cholesterol.