Lines open Mon-Fri 10am-3pm
Punjabi, Urdu & Hindi spoken on Fri
0845 450 5988
Sign up for the HEART UK e-newsletter, simply enter your name and email address to receive all the latest news from HEART UK.Click to subscribe
HEART UK - the Cholesterol Charity offers lots of healthy eating advice to help reduce cholesterol levels including:
an easy-to-follow Low Cholesterol Diet
Six Super Foods to help lower Cholesterol (cholesterol-busting foods)
Different kinds of fats in everyday foods can affect our cholesterol levels.
The Types of Fats That Affect our Cholesterol Levels.
There are two main types of fats: Saturated fats or Unsaturated fats
Saturated fats – these increase cholesterol levels
- hard fats such as butter, lard, margarine and ghee.
- fatty meat, burgers, sausages, bacon and kebabs,
- dairy fats such as cream, cheese, full fat milk/yogurts
- pastries, pasties, pies, cakes, rich creamy desserts and biscuits
Unsaturated fats are heart healthy and help improve cholesterol levels. Try replacing some foods high in saturated fat with foods rich in unsaturated fats.
- vegetable, seed and nut oils such as sunflower, safflower, rapeseed, olive, walnut and corn oil
- spreads based on these oils
- all kind of nuts
- oily fish such as herring, pilchards, mackerel, salmon and trout
In practice most foods contain a mixture of both saturated fats and unsaturated fats, but you can reduce your total intake of saturated fat by making some smart swops. Try our suggestions below:
|Eat less…||Replace with…|
|Butter on bread and in sandwiches||Spreads based on olive or sunflower oils|
|Butter and ghee in cooking||
Modest amounts of vegetable oils
|Fatty meat, sausages, burgers and other meat products||
Modest portions of lean meat, chicken without skin and all kinds of fish
|Snacks such as pastries, chocolate, cakes and biscuits||
Nuts, dried and fresh fruit
|Full cream milk and yoghurts||
Low fat milk and yoghurts
Lower fat cheese or smaller portions of full fat varieties
|Cream soups and sauces||
Vegetable soups and tomato based sauces
Grilling, braising, boiling, roasting without fat, poaching, casseroling etc
Click here for more information on cooking with less fat.
Apart from reducing saturated fat and increasing unsaturated fats you could also improve your diet by:
- Including cholesterol busting foods everyday, find out more by downloading the Ultimate Cholesterol Lowering Plan
- Base your meals around high fibre carbohydrate foods such as wholemeal bread, potatoes, brown rice, chapatti, wholemeal pasta or wholegrain breakfast cereals.
- Keep portions modest
- Fill up on fruit and vegetables, they are low in fat and packed with nutrients. Make the most of fresh, frozen, canned and dried fruits and vegetables.
- Eat three small meals a day with one or two healthy snacks in between
Need inspiration? TRY Our Ultimate Cholesterol Lowering Plan