30 minutes preparation time and 30-45 minutes cooking time
400g lean minced beef
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 large onion chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed or chopped
1 tablespoon Worcester sauce (optional)
1 large carrot, cut into small pieces
1-2 tablespoons tomato puree
50g frozen peas
1 beef stock cube
1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
2-3 tablespoons skimmed milk
1 tablespoon vegetable spread (such as olive or sunflower)
pepper to season
- Preheat oven to 200C or gas mark 6.
For the filling
- Warm the oil in a large sauce or frying pan. Add the chopped onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes without colouring.
- Add the minced beef, and continue to cook until browned
- Add the stock cube, canned tomatoes, tomato puree, Worcester sauce and carrot pieces
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 10-15 minutes. The sauce should thicken nicely.
- Add frozen peas and continue to simmer for 5 minutes, season with pepper
For the topping
- Peel the potatoes and cut into egg sized pieces. Boil for about 20 minutes or until tender
- Drain the potatoes, add the vegetable spread and milk and mash until smooth and creamy
Making the pie
- Put the meat filling into a casserole or baking dish, and top with the mashed potato
- Bake for 45 minutes (30 minutes from hot), until golden brown on top
- Serve on its own or with seasonal vegetables
Recipe tip: Try adding canned beans to the meat mixture instead of peas, adding chopped mushrooms or for a smoother sauce puree the chopped tomatoes before adding to the pan.
Low fat, saturates, sugar, medium salt
Energy: 325 Kcals/ 1364 Kjoules Fat: 12.3g Saturates: 3.3g Sugars: 13.8g Salt: 2.2g